Monday, February 9, 2009

Countdown to Phish: Day 25

Thanks to YouTube user "otuswerd" we have actual video coverage to give you a virtual sense of what it was like to experience the McLovins live at Revolution Hall to celebrate the release of PhanArt (see countdown to Phish: Day 26).

I've watched these young gents rise to YouTube stardom have always been impressed with their chops, but let me just say that when they took the stage Saturday night, no sooner than 30 seconds into "Linus and Lucy" I was totally blown away. My youngest brother may have put it best when he whispered "I'm going on McLovins tour!"

The Hartford, CT trio is Jake (Drumlovin), Jason (Basslovin), and Jeff (Axlovin). Jeff's still in middle school! They shredded & jammed with tight articulation and a natural sense of the groove. I cannot wait to see what these guys are up to in a few years. Extremely talented. While much of their popularity has grown from their epic Phish, Dead, and Weather Report covers, I gotta say, I absolutely LOVED their originals even more than the covers they played (Although Birdland and Cliffs of Dover are both on my desert island song list).

When they teased "Tweezer" about halfway through their own (amazing) song "Guillotine Machine" it sent shivers of excitement up my spine for the upcoming Hampton run. I had a quick flashback as the energy built and the crowd began to move together like an animal of its own. My need to dance kicked in the way it only does in the middle of the greatest of live jams.

Way to go McLovins, you totally rock! Here's a clip from the night which'll give you a taste of their YEM set-closer:

No comments: