Friday, February 6, 2009

Countdown to Phish: Day 28

I am a lover and listener to all types of music from country to death metal to classical and everything in between, but I gotta be honest when I say that above all music, I've been head-over-heels in love with Phish for more than half of my life.

The band played it's last show on August 15, 2004. That was a very sad day for me and a lot of other people. But, it gave us all a chance to do things like go to college or grad school, begin or return to careers, fall in love, start families, discover new bands, and dance in our living rooms to Phish DVD's wondering if and when we'd ever get a chance to do it in real life again.

Last fall on October 1st, a day after Trey's 44th birthday, we awoke to 3am text messages and 4am phone-calls: the whisper spread like wildfire into a worldwide cheer of pure jubilation, our band would play again! I felt like the 8 year old version of myself on Christmas morning hearing the news first from my brother and seeing the announcement for the first time on my computer. The servers that host phish.com were so jammed that day it was nearly impossible to play the video in its entirety, but the message was clear: game on.

These past 4 months have felt almost as long as the 4+ years we've waited to feel that feeling and now there's only one more month to go. Tickets have been bought, sold, birthday-miracled, traded, & gifted. Hotel rooms booked, days off requested, flights reserved. Phish is on, they're really gonna play, and we're gonna be there. I can't believe it!

Now it's time to start nailing down the final details: gotta tune-up the car, set meeting dates to re-connect with long lost friends, check the Hampton weather forecast daily, choose music for the roadtrip, dig out my old lucky show charm necklace, find those bouncy sneakers, and wait for that morning when I can wake up and drive south with my crew!

To celebrate, every day from now until we leave for Hampton on March 5th, I'm going to post a Phish-related story, song, or clip to document this incredible time (and to give me something to focus on so I don't totally self-implode with excitement in the meantime).

Let's start off with what brought this all on in the first place, the oh so long awaited... over-speculated... multi-rumored.... official.... ANNOUNCEMENT!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

woo-hoo! GAME ON!!

I won't be there, but I'll be there in spirit.