Saturday, February 14, 2009

Countdown to Phish: Day 20

Here's one of Phish's beautiful love songs to celebrate Valentine's Day: a romantic ballad with a build called "Waste". This version is from 4/02/98 during the Island Tour -- a highly-acclaimed run of four shows: two nights on Long Island at Nassau Coliseum and two nights in Rhode Island at the Providence Civic Center. The soundboard recordings of this historic batch of shows was re-mastered and officially released by the band. The set is a an essential component to any Phish lover's collection, although I've always enjoyed the warm sound of the Island Tour audience recordings just as much.

Of course there are many ways to interpret the lyrics of Waste. Over the years, I've come to know it as a love song from the band to us, the audience, the thousands of people who travel night after night to experience the true love that is live music.

I guess what I mean is that if a song itself could write a love song, it would say: "So if I'm inside your head, don't believe what you might have read, you'll see what I might have said, to hear it..."

No comments: