Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Countdown to Phish: Day 24

This is a special Phebruary 10th Birthday Edition of "Countdown to Phish" goin' out to my Dad who has always nurtured my deep love for music. He introduced me to his incredible record collection at an early age and has always been my favorite go-to guy for mix-tape advice.

I am so grateful to my parents for giving me such a rich musical upbringing. They played and booked the music for The Folkway all through my childhood. I remember my Mama constantly auditioning tapes (just like I do every day now) to research up and coming artists for The Folkway, and my Dad playing guitar daily. When I close my eyes I can literally HEAR my childhood memories: always music playing, live, at home, in the car, at concerts, always, still is...

In 1993 a dear friend introduced me to Phish. I started avidly collecting tapes and learning about the band on the old phish.net site. My encouraging parents added my ever-growing stash of bootlegs into our family rotation. I remember one specific moment we were in the car and Dad really "got" Phish. Possum was playing, and something just clicked for him. From that moment on he's been an avid fan, as my Mom had been right along from that first tape I ever traded.

I tried to find a sweet version of Possom for you today Dad but stumbled across this little beauty instead that I know you'll love. This is from an amazing show on April 29, 1990. Phish covers a Bill Monroe song "Uncle Pen" and the Soldier's Joy jam that kicks in around 2:15 just sounds so loving, festive, and sincere: just right for you Dad.

Happy BirthDave, I love you with all my heart!

No comments: