Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Time Turns Elastic

Today is Trey Anastasio's 44th birthday!

My red-headed hero gave a very special performance on Saturday 9-27-08 at one of the great churches of country music, the epic Ryman Auditorium.

Trey headlined Orchestra Nashville’s season-opening show along with a 60-piece orchestra for the world premiere of his 30+ minute piece called “Time Turns Elastic”, composed with collaborator Don Hart.

The evening's performance created a common ground for the hardcore Phish fans, classical music aficionados, and music lovers of all kinds.

Below is a link to some footage from the Ryman. It's a track from Trey's Bar 17 record: "Let Me Lie". This beautiful song has been in my heart for the past few weeks, and this is the best live version I've heard yet.

I love how the orchestra lovingly backs Trey's guitar and vocals. Watch for the moment when Trey switches guitars and plays a heart-melting solo over the strings before singing the song home.

Here's another article written before the show from one of my favorite music blogs, Hidden Track: Trey Takes Nashville.

I highly encourage you to download the torrent and give Time Turns Elastic the deep listen it deserves.

Happy Birthday Big Red! Can't wait for the shows in two weeks...I hope you play this one in Albany:

2 comments:

Scott Bernstein said...

Thanks for the Hidden Track love! Time Turns Elastic sounds fantastic

Anonymous said...

Rather interesting site you've got here. Thank you for it. I like such themes and anything that is connected to this matter. I definitely want to read a bit more on that blog soon.

Best wishes
Darek Wish